Saturday, June 13, 2009

Is Balance Bogus?

As practitioners, we must remain neutral and balanced when we diagnose behavior in organizations. There are many sides (perspectives) to every story. When I was a teaching assistant in graduate school, I asked one of the drama students to burst into my class feigning our break up and accusing me of cheating. The drama student was very believable. The students in my class were sucked into this performance like viewers of a TV reality show. At the end of this "performance," I asked the students to write down what they had witnessed...just the facts. The students moved beyond reporting the facts to filling in the blanks with inference. Clearly there was an imbalance; there were biased views. Sides were taken and the story was filled out:
  • Some students thought that I indeed was cruel and harsh for having abused the relationship. Clearly I had cheated given the emotional state of the "victim" (the drama student). This group actually imagined me on a date, entwined in a lover's embrace.
  • Some students came to my defense in writing as well as in reality. This group was clearly influenced by how calm I was during the "victim's" rant which came close to ending in a physical charge. If it were not for a group of "football" students who lept from their chairs to protect me, I might have been physically attacked.
Do employees, managers and leaders have unbalanced views of each other? Indeed, as humans we are fundamentally flawed in our ability to fairly assess situations and people. We hold onto our personal views to such a degree that we allow them to cloud our judgments...to a point where we sometimes do harm - sometimes physically, sometimes psychologically. We damage careers and reputations. To what end? What will it take for us to be respectful of our differences? What will it take to be balanced and fair in our judgments?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the extreme, "mis"percpetions lead to hate crimes.

Dodger said...

Neutral and balanced? I don't think so, Tim. As the employer of your practitioners, I want, nay, demand that you be biased towards the welfare of my company. If Mr. X isn't performing up to snuff, if he isn't contributing the the growth and development of the bottom line, I don't want to hear his side of the story. I want him to do the job I'm paying him for or hit the streets!

Of course we have unbalanced views of each other! That's because we have unbalanced skills, capabilities, motivations. I'm not going to hire someone with a low skill set just to be 'balanced'! Come on! We are born to pick sides, to have preferences for one thing over another. I like vanilla, you like strawberry. I like the Steelers, you like the Redskins. I vote Republican, you vote wrong.

Fundamentally flawed? That too harsh. I hire people who will make a contribution to my company. I pick friends with whom I share common interests. I criticize my neighbor because he doesn't take the same pride in lawn care as I do. These views don't cloud my judgement. They ARE my judgement!

Oh, and those football player who lept (sic) to your defense were just eliminating the competition. Everyone one of them wanted to score with you. And. may I say, their judgement wasn't clouded either!

H Light said...

Well, MacDude. Your passion surely comes through. Let me remind you that as part of a practitioner's "commitment" to your firm, I'd want to make sure you stay out of court. An employee can bring you to task if they can prove bias. While we are not lawyers, we are well versed to ensure that you acquire and develop the best talent for your company...of course your success is our success.

Dodger said...

Balance is very important on a motorcycle.